Tag Archives: Boarstall

Boarstall (National Archaeology Week)

Between the 12th and 20th of July 2008, many archaeological events take place up and down the country.

One of these events was at Boarstall, just north of Thame and close to Brill. Apart from the National Trust’s Duck Decoy at Boarstall, there is also their Boarstall Tower close by. The tower was built in 1312 and was originally the grand gateway to the earlier Boarstall House. The house was demolished in 1778 following the death of the son of the owners, Sir John and Lady Aubrey He died from ‘ergot disease’, but they considered the house ‘evil’ and had it demolished!

Gary Marshall, Archaeologist for the National Trust in our area, headed up the investigations and plans had been made to let volunteers start excavating in five separate trenches dug into the lawn to the rear of the tower. The objectives were to locate the various stages of development of the house and its formal garden, as well as to survey surrounding areas not previously surveyed.

Excavations at Boarstall
Excavations at Boarstall

Early finds, recovered on the 12th and 13th, included mediaeval tile pieces and sherds of pot, as well as chunks of brick and tile. Another week of investigations hopefully revealed much, much, more.